Average Resident Personality Test Scores:
Helpfulness: 2.92 |
Name: | Age: 24 | Gender: Male | ZIP: 90232 | Resident for: 2 years | Added on: 2013-06-30
Artisticness: 4 Calmness: 2 Helpfulness: 2 Intelligence: 3 Neatness: 3 Outgoingness: 5
Was this review useful? Yes/No | Report spam
Grew up in the Boston area. Have been all over the country.
What do you like about Los Angeles?
• There's a lot to do and a lot to see. Art museums, parks, festivals, a million bars and restaurants, you name it.
• The weather is always nice. 80s in the summer, 60s in winter, but it's usually in the 70's. Anyone who tells you it rains much here is probably from Las Vegas or San Diego.
• Great independent art and music scene.
• Fantastic Mexican food. Try a good taco truck!
• Plenty of stuff (and people, lol) to do for 20-somethings.
• A lot of notable events and people are here.
• Tons of beaches! Plus, Malibu is just up PCH.
• For such a major city, rent actually isn't too horrible. Could be better, but at least it isn't San Francisco.
• Nice vistas. Get up on any of the hills, and LA looks like a fairly pretty city.
What do you dislike about Los Angeles?
• It's the city of shattered dreams. For every one person you meet who's "made it" (i.e. holding down a full-time job somewhere in the entertainment industry that doesn't pay just $2k/month), there will be 50 more who are struggling to get by, just so they can make it to one more casting call or interview.
• So many morons here. I have never seen so many daft, dense, idiotic, rude people clustered into one place. The frustrating thing is, they usually have a lot more money than most other people.
• If you're coming here to get into any part of the entertainment industry, get ready to be taken advantage of. Unpaid internships, ridiculous hours, and competing with hundreds of people for an assistant position are normal.
• The weather never changes. It's typically perfect - 70s and sunny. But believe me, you will get tired of it if you didn't grow up here. I dearly miss rain - that happens maybe a few times a year, and lasts no more than a day.
• LA is ridiculously large. This city expands out instead of up.
• Very divorced from nature. Some of the parks are decent though.
• The traffic is... legendary.
• Complete lack of culture and identity. Everyone is in their own head, doing their own thing. For example, 9/10 people really don't care about any local sports teams.
• Why is alcohol so expensive here?? A pint of Miller Lite is usually $4-$5. A pint of good beer? $7-$10. A decent mixed drink? $11-$15. I don't know why this is. Go up to San Francisco, and that Miller Lite becomes $2.
What are your favorite parts of the city to live and/or hang out in?
Culver City, Pasadena, Venice, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Silver Lake
How expensive is it?
$1200 gets you a decent 1BD/1BA somewhere not great, but not horrible either. $900 gets you the same living space, but you won't want to be out alone at night. $1500 gets you somewhere fairly nice.
Is it safe?
Heavily depends on the area. A place can go from pretty safe to hey-look-those-are-crips just by crossing the street (referencing the Culver City-Baldwin Hills border here).
How is the weather?
Don't move here unless you have a stable, fulltime job waiting for you. That goes doubly if you're getting into the entertainment industry.
Name: Marty | Age: 29 | Gender: Male | ZIP: 91364 | Resident for: 3-5 years | Added on: 2006-08-08
Artisticness: 5 Calmness: 3 Helpfulness: 4 Intelligence: 5 Neatness: 4 Outgoingness: 4
Was this review useful? Yes/No | Report spam
What do you like about Los Angeles? It's spacious, lots of green, lots of sky and sun, people have a purpose bigger than themselves, beatiful buildings, cafés, shops, cars, parks. The museums and theatres are great, which in my opnion are way superior to NY's or any European's finest.
What do you dislike about Los Angeles? Traffic is horrible, public transport needs to grow way more and fast (more subway please!!!), a bit too much of road rage, some areas need nicer buildings.
What are your favorite parts of the city to live and/or hang out in? Hollywood, Melrose, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Studio city (Universal City Walk), Griffith Park, great driving scene in Mulholland Dr, Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, Downtown (some parts). Getty Museum and Disney Music Hall is a must.
How expensive is it? It's fair, but transport is expensive.
Is it safe? Yes, very safe.
How is the weather? Great, sun, breeze in most areas, excellent!!!
Additional thoughts? They are working hard to get it fixed, LA has recieved lots of poor migrants in the 70s and 80s, and needs work on some areas. It's got a lot of art and intellectual people. It's not true people are fake, quite the contrary some people are offensive because they're too sincere, all they care is fame and money and they tell right to your face, but these are just some dreamers. Most people are very nice, relaxed (except on the road), helpful and very much creative and intel.lectual,
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14